How Will You Protect Your Intellectual Property



We have discussed in class that there are four main ways to protect your intellectual property. The four ways are through copyright, trademark, trade secrets, and patents. It would be very incredible to have a trademark that would represent your company’s brand just from an image, just like the type of impact Nike has when you see a product with their iconic swoosh. However, through our class discussions it was clear that getting a trademark to that kind of level takes many years, and often times with the rate of nine out of every ten new businesses failing a trademark didn’t seem like the best choice. For my business, which is creating an all in one smart water bottle device that, is based on the inventions of other products like the Fitbit, Hydro Flask, and Hidrate Spark it feels as though the best way to go about protecting my intellectual property would be through patents. By patenting my idea it distinguishes my devices from my other competitors, and outlines how the utility and design of my product differs and is not the same as my competitors. I also believe having some sort of trade secret would also be a good way to protecting my intellectual property as it would not only further distinguish my product, but also have a secret method in design that allows my product to maintain a vacuum seal while having a straw like design that would allow my patrons to keep track of their water intake as well as their total step count per day. If my company were to survive I would very much enjoy creating some sort of trademark that would represent the values behind my company LIVE. I would like it to have the same sort of prestige Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour have in the fitness industry as they would look at my trademark and associate it with a brand that cares for the health of their users and promotes healthy living through the value of exercise.

Comments

Popular Posts